Who doesn’t love twice baked potatoes? O.K., maybe two or three of you. But most of us do. And when you stuff them with Chili Con Carne and slather it with sour cream, bacon, and chives….well, put the diet on hold for an evening!
Find big Russet potatoes and bake them for at least an hour at 400 degrees. Don’t wrap them in foil or rub with oil…you need the skins to have a little texture. However, do poke a few small holes in them so they don’t explode in the oven when baking (it’s happened!)
You can use canned chili con carne or make your own. Best to leave out the beans. Here we go…
- 2 large Russet potatoes
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tbsp sour cream + more for garnish
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chili con carne without beans (home made or canned)
- 4 thick slices of bacon, cooked and diced small
- Chopped chives
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wash and dry the potatoes. With a small knife, poke a few holes in them. Bake for at least 1 hour until they are fork tender. Remove from the oven and allow to cool enough to handle.
- When the potatoes are cool enough, slice off the top 1/3 of each potato. Carefully scoop out the flesh. In to mixing bowl. Also scoop the flesh from the top slice.
- To the potato flesh, add 4 tbsp of unsalted butter, 2 tbsp of sour cream, 1/4 cup shredded cheese, 2/ tbsp cooked diced bacon, Kosher salt and black pepper to taste. Mash with a fork and mix all ingredients well.
- Heat the chili con carne in a saucepan. Place about 1/4 cup of chili in each hollowed out potato. Add about 2 tbsp of shredded cheddar to the chili. Top with the potato mixture and shape into a dome. Using a fork, make some ridges to the top of the potato. Melt 2 tbsp of butter and brush on top of the potatoes. Place in a preheated 450 degree oven for about 15 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
- Sprinkle on some chopped bacon. Then some shredded cheddar cheese. Then some our cream topped with chopped chives.