Fried rice should be made with day old rice. Most of the time, I use day old jasmine rice, but almost any white rice will do. It just needs to be allowed to sit overnight in the fridge. In this case, I made Spanish Rice 2 days ago…and this Pork Fried Rice came out really flavorful.
You’ll find find Fried Rice recipes all over the internet and YouTube, but this one is just one of my favorites. Please note that MSG is in this recipe but is totally optional. It most certainly adds a level of umami that makes your fried rice, well…just like fried rice! MSG has made somewhat of a comeback of late. It was really given a bad rap in the 80’s, but it is not really that bad. Leave out some salt when you use MSG…you won’t need the extra sodium from salt.
- About 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable oil (I like to use avocado oil)
- 2-3 large eggs, beaten well
- 1/2 cup shallot, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, 1/4 inch dice
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- Kosher salt
- White pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 4 cups day old cooked white rice
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 tsp MG (optional)
- Mix together in a small bowl the soy sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil, and sugar and set aside.
- In a wok or large skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tsp of oil and add the eggs. Stir and and cook for about 30 seconds. Then remove to a plate a set aside. When cool, slice into slivers.
- Heat 2 more tsp oil and add the shallot and diced carrots. Cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes.
- Raise the heat and add the ground pork. Cook while breaking it up with a large spoon. Cook until no loaner pink. Season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- Stir in the ginger, garlic, and peas and stir for about 1 minute.
- Add the rice and start tossing to cook, abut 2 minutes. Add more oil if needed so it doesn’t stick in the wok.
- Stir in the green onions. Season with MSG if using.
- Toss to combiner then fold in the scrambled eggs. Serve immediately.